Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Joining a club: FIRST Robotics Competition, part of Programming Foundations: Programming for Kids.
- Kids who find that they like building and programming…robots might be interested in joining a club…focused around those activities.…First is an international organization…that was founded by Dean Kamen, the inventor of the Segway.…Its stated mission is to inspire young people…to be science and technology leaders…by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs…that build science, engineering, and technology skills…that inspire innovation…and then foster well-rounded life capabilities,…including self-confidence, communication,…and leadership.…
You can learn about First in the United States…on their website.…For information on First clubs and organization…in other countries, look in the Club Directory on this site.…US First has a variety of programs to help kids…learn more about building and programming robots.…For younger kids, check out the First Lego League…at firstlegoleague.org.…As early as kindergarten, kids can participate in programs…that use the Lego Mindstorms robotics kits to explore…what's possible with the combination of hardware,…
- Understanding your child's learning style
- Graphical programming on iPads and computers
- Making things move
- Learning about algorithms
- Programming animations, apps, and games
- Programming virtual and real robots
- Programming hardware: Arduino and Raspberry Pi
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 11/10/2014. What changed?
A: We updated the "Programming Android apps: MIT App Inventor" video to incorporate new device footage, so you can see how the app performs on an Android phone.