- Hello, and welcome to Code Clinic. My name is Ray Villalobos. Code Clinic is a course where a unique problem is introduced to a collection of lynda.com authors. In response, each author will create a solution using their programming language of choice. You can learn several things from Code Clinic. Different approaches to solving a problem, the pros and cons of different languages, and some tips and tricks to incorporate into your own coding practices. This time, the problem is to create a musical instrument controlled by the mouse.
Move the mouse up and down to change the pitch. Move it side to side to change the volume. The instrument is silent until we click & hold one of the mouse buttons. Letting go off the buttons turns off the musical note. It's a simple request, but because it requires access to the mouse, it may be difficult or impossible in some languages. In all cases, we'll explore some ways to solve the problem and learn why they might not work. Thomas Edison observed that negative results are just what I want.
They're just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don't. You may want to take some time to solve the problem yourself. In the next videos, I'll explain how I answered this challenge.
Visit other courses in the series to see how to solve the exact same challenges in languages like C++, C#, Java, PHP, Python, R, Ruby, and Swift.
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: I am unable to access the Lake Pend Oreille data from outside the U.S.
A: A static copy of this data is provided here for lynda.com members outside of the U.S
1. Problem One - Exploring Lake Pend Oreille
2. Problem Two: Image Analysis
3. Problem Three: Eight Queens
4. Problem Four: Accessing Peripherals
5. Problem 5 - Recursion and Directories
6. Problem 6 - Building the Web
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.