- Understanding your child's learning style
- Graphical programming on iPads and computers
- Making things move
- Learning about algorithms
- Programming animations, apps, and games
- Programming virtual and real robots
- Programming hardware: Arduino and Raspberry Pi
Skill Level Beginner
- My name is David Gassner and this is Foundations of Programming: Programming for Kids. This course is actually for parents and educators, who want to help young programmers learn the fundamentals of programming and build their coding skills. But programming is fun and that will be our focus throughout the course. First, we'll have a brief discussion of some theories of childhood learning. For the youngest programmers, I'll show you apps that you can load onto tablets, that let kids animate objects using simple, block based visual programming.
If you're a parent or an educator, who works with potential young programmers, I hope this course helps you find the tools you need, that help kids learn how to program.
Q: This course was updated on 11/10/2014. What changed?
A: We updated the "Programming Android apps: MIT App Inventor" video to incorporate new device footage, so you can see how the app performs on an Android phone.