- [Instructor] The third major concept … of functional programming is something … called first-class functions. … This is where things really start to get interesting … and where the power and flexibility … of functional programming really starts to shine through. … So what exactly do we mean … when we talk about first-class functions? … Well, in object-oriented programming, … we generally treat data and functions … as different types of entities. … We would probably never think of, for example, … creating an array of functions … or passing functions as arguments to other functions, … or even stranger, returning functions from other functions. … However, in functional programming, … it's not only possible to do these things, … it's in fact a source of tremendous flexibility. … This is exactly what we mean … when we say that a language supports first-class functions. … It allows us to treat functions in a very similar way … to how we normally treat other values … such as numbers, strings, and objects. …
- The goal of functional programming
- Declarative vs. imperative programming
- Ensuring immutability
- Arrow functions in ES6
- Passing functions as arguments
- Mapping, filtering, slicing, sorting, and reducing
- Advanced functional concepts, including recursion
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Introductory Functional Concepts
2. First-Class Functions
4. Advanced Functional Concepts
5. Code Conversion Challenges
Next steps1m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.