Ambient light illuminates all the objects in the scene equally. It doesn't have any direction and it can't cast any shadows. Because of these reasons, It doesn't come close to how lighting behaves in real life so you should use it sparingly if you are looking to create realistic scenes. It is a good choice though when you want to introduce a bit of a uniform brightness in your scene and lift the color of the shadows.
- [Instructor] Another kind of light that is available…in three.js is the ambient light.…I will first change the position of the directional light…to be able to get shadows on the side of the objects.…So here,…instead of just changing the position Y value…of the directional lights,…I'm going to change the X,…and I'm going to change the Z as well.…And I will make the X something like 13,…Y something like 10,…and I will change the position Z to 10.…
Let's check our scene to see how everything is looking.…And now you can see that the directional light…is casting its light from the side…so that we can get shadows on the side of the objects.…And now let's create a function…that creates an ambient light.…So here underneath my directional light creating function,…I'll be creating a function that creates an ambient light.…I will call this get ambient light.…
Ambient lights don't cast any shadows,…so I will be removing this line,…and I will be calling the ambient light function.…And I will change its color to something that is bluish.…
- Building a simple scene
- Creating three.js 3D objects
- Adding light and shadows
- Animating with Tween.js
- Working with materials and textures
- Editing and importing geometries
- Creating a particle system
- Post-processing with effects and shaders
Skill Level Intermediate
Flash Professional: HTML5 Canvas and WebGLwith Joseph Labrecque1h 36m Intermediate
HTML5: Graphics and Animation with Canvaswith Joe Marini3h 7m Intermediate
1. Building a Simple Scene
2. Three.js Scene Object
5. Materials and Textures
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.