Get an introduction to metrics for cloud0native applications, why you should collect and expose metrics, and which metrics you should start with.
- [Instructor] It's important to have an easy way … to work out if your application is running or not. … We've also looked at how platforms like Kubernetes … can help by restarting unhealthy apps … or not routing traffic to apps that aren't ready yet. … But what if your application is just running slowly, … or a restart hasn't fixed the problem? … If your app is struggling, it might not have enough CPU, … or it might just be getting more traffic … than it can deal with. … When you're starting to look into these kinds of problems, … a simple health or not healthy status isn't enough. … You're going to need some metrics. … There are a few different kind of metrics you will want … to collect and monitor. … First, there are JVM and application server metrics. … No matter which fender implementation … or microprofile you use, … there will be an application server running. … You should monitor things like the memory … currently being used and what the current thread count is. … You shouldn't have to implement your own code …
- Installing Docker
- Running an application with Docker
- Deploying an application to Kubernetes
- Adding custom metrics
- Collecting and visualizing metrics
- Enabling distributed tracing