This course is designed for Android app developers who want to learn more about popular Java programming practices in Android. To get the most out of this course, you should understand the basics of building Android apps with the Android SDK and Android Studio. Popular courses on these topics are described in this video.
- [Voiceover] This course is designed for software developers who want to improve their Android development skills, specifically learning how to put Java to work using Android's implementation of Java and learning some great best practices. The course covers the Android SDK using Android Studio with a focus on the Android SDK's implementation of Java, which differs in some ways from Oracle's version. This course is not an introductory Java course.
It's an intermediate course and it assumes you have basic Java programming skills already. It's also not a beginning Android app development course. Again, the focus is on improving your Java skills so I assume that you already know how to write very basic Android apps before you watch the course. Here's some recommended Java knowledge: first of all, you should know how to manage data in memory; you should know what a variable is, what a field is, what constants are, and what collections are.
You should also know the basics of how to organize your Java code, how to use packages to organize classes, what the differences between a class and an interface, and what an enumeration is. You should also understand the difference between an instance method and a static method, and a more advanced aspect of Java, anonymous implementations of interfaces. That sounds like a mouthful but it describes an important skill that's essential to Android development when you're creating listener objects to respond to certain events in an Android app.
To learn more about Java, you can watch these courses. If you're just getting started with the language, I recommend Java Essential Training. And to learn more about some of those more advanced architectures, look at the course Java Advanced Training. For Android development, you can watch Android App Development Essential Training. And to learn more about Android Studio, watch the course Android Studio Essential Training. If you have those basic skills already, this course on working with APRs and design patterns in Java in Android apps should help you move your Android development skills to the next level.
Watch these Java tutorials to learn smarter, more efficient methods for Android app development.
- Preparing the development environment
- Packaging and running Android apps
- Optimizing Java code for Android
- Implementing event handler interfaces
- Defining custom callback methods
- Working with the Android SDK's Java packages
- Storing data
- Reading text files
- Parsing JSON and XML data
- Managing device sensors
- Playing audio