Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Using local inner classes, part of Advanced Java Programming.
In a previous video, I described how to define a class that's a member of another class.…These are called simply member classes.…When you do find that sort of class it's only visible to the class in which it's contained.…I'm now going to dive a little bit further down the encapsulation rabbit hole and show…you how to define a local inner class.…A class that's defined within a code block, for example, a code block that's a part of…the method definition and is only visible within that code block. I'll demonstrate this…using the project local classes, and I'll work with this class OliveJar.java.…
In this class, I have an existing method named reportOlives, which loops through the array…list of all of objects, and reports each olive's oliveName property.…I'm going to make an arbitrary rule for my application, purely for the point of demonstration.…That before I can report the olives I have to open the jar lid, and I'm also going to…make another arbitrary decision that this class, the jar lid I'm about to create, is only…
- Installing Java on Windows and Mac OS X
- Installing Eclipse
- Using new features such as simplified generics
- Working with advanced class structures (member, local inner, etc.)
- Using the Reflection API
- Navigating inheritance trees
- Managing unordered and ordered sets
- Peeking and polling with queues
- Testing and error handling
- Managing files and directories
- Working with I/O streams
- Next steps with Java
Skill Level Advanced
1. Getting Started
2. Java 7 New Features
3. Using Advanced Class Structures
4. Using the Reflection API
5. More of the Collections Framework
6. Testing and Advanced Exception Handling
Using the finally keyword5m 40s
7. Managing Files and Directories in Java 7
8. Working with I/O Streams
9. Working with Multi-threading
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.