Join Peggy Fisher for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding basic expressions, part of Learning Java.
- When writing Java expressions,…we need to know how to convert…our algebraic equations to Java.…So before we move to our next program,…let's quickly review the math opterations in Java.…You'll notice that the symbols…are similar to other languages.…Some of the operations work differently,…depending on the data type of the operands.…One of these operations is the plus sign.…When it's used with two numbers,…they're added together.…But when it's used between two strings,…it creates one long string.…This is called concatenation.…
We have the minus sign for subtraction,…the asterisks for multiplication,…the forward slash for division,…and we have the percent sign…which is something called modulus division,…but it's also referred to as remainder division.…Let's take a look at some algebraic equations…and their corresponding Java equivalents.…We're used to A equals pi r squared.…This is how we find the area of a circle.…In Java, we would use more meaningful names…and we would write area equals,…to get pi, we use the math library Math.PI…
- Downloading and exploring NetBeans
- Understanding Java basics: data types, strings, arrays, and more
- Controlling flow with functions and loops
- Creating classes
- Sorting and searching arrays
- Manipulating files
- Handling errors
- Building GUIs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Java Basics
3. Flow of Control
4. Classes and Objects
5. Beyond the Basics
6. File Manipulation
7. Graphical User Interface Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.