Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Reading and writing byte streams, part of Advanced Java Programming (2012).
The Java 7 files API which I have shown in previous chapters gives you a more streamlined…approach to working with files and directories.…But in many Java applications, you need a more raw approach, the ability to read and write…files working with one byte at a time.…So in this chapter I'm going to show how to work with streams, one of the lowest level…approaches to working with the file system.…And I will start in this video with talking about file streams, both input and output.…
Java supports input streams and output streams, and there are two primary classes that you…should learn how to use first, called FileInputStream and FileOutputStream.…I'm going to use them to read and write two types of files, a text file and an image file.…They are primarily designed to work with binary data, but by working with textual data you…can see them at work and prove to yourself that it's working correctly.…I'm working in a project called ByteStreams which has two files. One is called textfile.txt,…and the other is flower.jpg, a simple graphic file.…
- Installing Java on Windows and Mac OS X
- Installing Eclipse
- Using new features such as simplified generics
- Working with advanced class structures (member, local inner, etc.)
- Using the Reflection API
- Navigating inheritance trees
- Managing unordered and ordered sets
- Peeking and polling with queues
- Testing and error handling
- Managing files and directories
- Working with I/O streams
- Next steps with Java
Skill Level Advanced
1. Getting Started
2. Java 7 New Features
3. Using Advanced Class Structures
4. Using the Reflection API
5. More of the Collections Framework
6. Testing and Advanced Exception Handling
Using the finally keyword5m 40s
7. Managing Files and Directories in Java 7
8. Working with I/O Streams
9. Working with Multi-threading
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.