A lot of what all Java developers need to learn isn’t about the core language or design patterns, but about the specific packages you use to accomplish various tasks. Database management is a great example. The core Java runtime includes the java.sql and javax.sql packages. These mostly include interfaces that have to be implemented by particular database vendors. Each vendor has to create a JDBC driver, following the interface definitions provided by Java’s sql packages. In Android though, most of those JDBC interfaces are replaced by unique interfaces and classes that are in packages named android.database, and android.database.sqlite.
- [Voiceover] A lot of what all Java developers need…to learn isn't about the core language or design patterns,…but about the specific packages you use…to accomplish various tasks.…Database management is a great example.…The core Java runtime library includes the java.sql…and javax.sql packages.…These mostly include interfaces that have to be implemented…by particular database vendors.…The vendor creates a JDBC driver…following the interface definitions…provided by Java's SQL packages.…
In Android, though, most of those JDBC interfaces…are replaced by unique interfaces and classes…that are in packages named android.database…and android.database.sqlite.…I'll start at the first package.…I'll search for android.data,…and I'll select android.database.…The Interfaces and Classes in this package…are primarily used to work with content providers.…A content provider is an interface that lets you create,…read, update and delete data…regardless of how that data is stored…in the persistent storage.…
These are not actually the tools you use…
Watch these Java tutorials to learn smarter, more efficient methods for Android app development.
- Preparing the development environment
- Packaging and running Android apps
- Optimizing Java code for Android
- Implementing event handler interfaces
- Defining custom callback methods
- Working with the Android SDK's Java packages
- Storing data
- Reading text files
- Parsing JSON and XML data
- Managing device sensors
- Playing audio