- What is persistence?
- JPA configuration and entities
- Benefits of JPA over pure JDBC
- Managing entities with the EntityManager API
- Creating, persisting, reading, updating, and deleting objects
- Managing transactions
- Advanced mapping techniques using annotations
- How to map relationships
Skill Level Intermediate
- [Kesha] I'm Kesha Williams. I'm a software engineer, author and international speaker. I've been working with the Java programming language since the late 90s and I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the language evolve over the years. JPA makes it very easy to map objects to relational databases and vice versa. The benefit of JPA is that it allows Java developers to access a database without having to write SQL code. The time saving benefit of JPA over pure JDBC cannot be denied.
JPA is widely adopted in the industry and there are several popular implementations. The goal of this course is to teach the higher level JPA specification that is common across all implementations by covering JPA basics, including simple object relational concepts, persistence context and entity managers, transactions and entity lifecycle, relationship mapping and annotation based configuration. So let's get started.