In order to follow along with this course on Windows, you'll need to install the Java Development Kit from Oracle. Click on Java SE under Top Downloads then click on Download under JDK. Then choose the correct version of Java for your operating system. If you're working on Windows, you'll to go through some additional steps after completing the installation, setting up two environment variables.
- [Voiceover] In order to compile and package an Android app…you must have the Java development kit…installed on your computer.…You can get it from Oracle…by typing Java.oracle.com in a browser…and that'll take you to this page…and then click Java SE or standard edition…under top downloads.…From there, click the download link under jdk.…Then scroll down to the list…of available versions.…At the time of this recording,…there were two versions available:…Java SE Development Kit 8u71 and 72.…
I recommend always taking the most recent version.…You'll need to accept a license agreement…and then you can download the version…for your operating system.…There are a variety of installs for Linux,…there's one for Mac OS X…and there's one for Windows 32 bit…and one for 64 bit.…The details of completing the installation…are available in the course Java Essential Training…under chapter two, installing the software.…You'll find instructions for installing Java on Windows…and on OS X.…
To test and make sure that you have Java installed correctly…
Watch these Java tutorials to learn smarter, more efficient methods for Android app development.
- Preparing the development environment
- Packaging and running Android apps
- Optimizing Java code for Android
- Implementing event handler interfaces
- Defining custom callback methods
- Working with the Android SDK's Java packages
- Storing data
- Reading text files
- Parsing JSON and XML data
- Managing device sensors
- Playing audio