In this video, Nick Maiorano demonstrates how to create a module hierarchy, as well as how to compile and run a modular application using the JDK command-line tools.
- [Instructor] We've now explored the role…of the module path, and how it's used…by the compiler in runtime to find and load…the appropriate modules and classes.…Now let's turn our attention to the actual compiling…and running of a modularized Java 9 application.…Both the Java compiler and runtime…have been adapted for modularity in Java 9,…with many new options.…I'll show you the basic ones for now,…and we'll dig deeper…into the other options a little bit later.…Suppose I have this directory structure…representing a skeletal but functioning Java application.…
Notice that the root of my directory is the src directory.…I've chosen to name the module com.red30tech.movement,…so my first-level directory must be named that way.…Then comes the usually packet structure,…which in this case is com.red30tech.movement,…and I have all my Java classes…inside the api, metalpart, and rubberpart directories.…Inside the com.red30tech.movement directory,…I need to create a module info class…that declares the name of the module.…
In this course, instructor Nick Maiorano breaks down this complexity by explaining what modularity is all about, how Java has adopted modularity and how to start using to build better quality applications.
- What is modularity?
- The five pillars of modularity
- Modularity in the real world
- JPMS concepts and syntax
- Designing and implementing a modular structure
- Compiling, packaging and running modular applications
- Using the dependency checking tools
- Creating custom runtime images
- Managing backward compatibility with classes and modules
- Explicit, unnamed, and automatic modules
- JPMS tips and recommendations
Skill Level Intermediate
Java Essential Training: Syntax and Structurewith David Gassner3h 9m Intermediate
1. Introduction to Modularity
2. Java Modularity through the Ages
3. Building Modular Applications with Java
4. Tools and Strategies
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.