Join Ketkee Aryamane for an in-depth discussion in this video ExecutorService shutdown, part of Java EE: Concurrency and Multithreading.
- [Instructor] Now let's take a look at the three…remaining APIs, shutdown now, and await termination.…Now let's first understand this.…When you create the executor service, or check,…in your application,…it is not going to be destroyed automatically.…You have to destroy it yourself.…Now, if you do not destroy the object,…it is good at times, because your application…may have certain jobs coming on an irregular basis.…So in that case you may want the service object…to be alive so that tasks can be submitted.…That's okay.…
However, if you know that all the tasks in your application…are definitely reaching the completion point,…then, it is wise, to of course,…go ahead and destroy the service object.…So, that you can reclaim the resources.…So the shutdown mechanism for this service…happens via these three APIs.…That is shutdown, shutdown now, and await termination.…No, let's say you talk about the shutdown method.…When you invoke this method, what essentially happens is…there is a shutdown request that is initiated,…
- What is concurrency?
- Processes and threads in Java SE
- Java EE concurrency APIs
- Working with the ManagedExecutorService, ManagedScheduledExecutorService, ManagedThreadFactory, and ContextService APIs
- Defining data access object (DAO) classes
- Adding methods to DAO classes
- Writing REST classes
- Creating custom thread factories
- Creating contextual proxies
- JTA transactions and concurrency
Skill Level Intermediate
Java EE: Contexts and Dependency Injectionwith Alex Theedom1h 43m Intermediate
Java EE: Design Patterns and Architecturewith Alex Theedom2h 44m Intermediate
Java EE: Servlets and JavaServer Pages (JSP)with Ketkee Aryamane6h 14m Intermediate
1. Overview and Setup
2. Processes and Threads
3. Executor API
4. Java EE Concurrency APIs
5. Concurrency and Transactions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.