Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating and using enumeration classes, part of Java Advanced Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In the Java Essential Training course, I briefly mentioned the use of EnumClasses, a special…type of class that can be used to contain values that serve as constants.…In that course, I showed how to create an Enum Class in line, but now I'll how to create…an independent class that can be used throughout an application.…I'm working in a version of my olives application named EnumClasses.…Right now, my olive names are all represented as strings.…
So, for example, if I go to Olive.java that class has a public field named oliveName data…typed as a string. And that data type is reflected in all of the constructor methods and in the…two string method. And in the Main method I'm calling a method of the OliveJar called…addOlive, and I'm passing in a string and within that class OliveJar, I'm passing in…a string again here.…Now using all of these strings as data types makes your code very prone to errors, it's incredibly…easy to mistype it, and if later on you need to evaluate that value, it's very easy to get it wrong.…
- Installing Java on Windows and Mac OS X
- Installing Eclipse
- Using new features such as simplified generics
- Working with advanced class structures (member, local inner, etc.)
- Using the Reflection API
- Navigating inheritance trees
- Managing unordered and ordered sets
- Peeking and polling with queues
- Testing and error handling
- Managing files and directories
- Working with I/O streams
- Next steps with Java
Skill Level Advanced
1. Getting Started
2. Java 7 New Features
3. Using Advanced Class Structures
4. Using the Reflection API
5. More of the Collections Framework
6. Testing and Advanced Exception Handling
Using the finally keyword5m 40s
7. Managing Files and Directories in Java 7
8. Working with I/O Streams
9. Working with Multi-threading
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.