Join Peggy Fisher for an in-depth discussion in this video Challenge: Name finder, part of Java Essential Training for Students.
- It's time for another challenge.…In this challenge, I would like you to write…a complete Java program that includes…a separate method used to find a specific name…in a two-dimensional table.…We'll call this the name search game.…In the exercise folder you will find the start of a program,…including a main method that contains a 2D array of names.…Your job is to write the method that takes two parameters,…a two-dimensional array of strings called name table…and a string called name to find.…
The method returns a Boolean value of true or false.…Your method should search the two-dimensional array of names…to check for a match with name to find.…Your program will ask the user to guess a name.…You'll use the method to search the array…and print out a message if the name was found.…Make sure you allow the user…to play the game more than once.…But before you actually turn this over to someone,…make sure you test it using a valid value that is found…and a value that's not found.…
I've estimated about 15 minutes for this activity.…
- Getting started with parsing
- Reviewing data types
- Using decisions
- Creating user-defined methods
- Command-line debugging
- Exploring the Java API
- Creating and instantiating classes
- Working with interfaces
- Storing items with arrays
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: How can I make my debugger function like the author’s?
1. Command Level Programming
2. Basics Review
4. Java API
5. Simulations and Algorithm Analysis
6. Classes and Objects
7. More on Classes
8. Data Structures
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.