Join Jana Schmidt for an in-depth discussion in this video Modeling the caddy arm using the Mirror command, part of Autodesk Inventor: Product Design Workflow.
- So we're back, and we're looking at…the final caddy part that needs to be drawn.…That's five of five parts.…It's a fun one to draw.…What we're going to actually use is mirror,…we'll focus on just drawing one half of the caddy arm…and then we'll use mirror, since this is a symetrical part…to generate the second half of the caddy arm.…For this particular part of the drawing…we're going to ignore this handle portion…and we're going to do that a little bit down the road…so yours will just have a flat surface…going all the way across.…
A couple of notes about the shape…we have a one inch bracket…it's one inch by one inch…and the material thickness is 0.1.…The portion that bows kind of out and over the tumblers…has a radius of 3 and the distance is 2.5…of the thickness of the band on the caddy arm.…So let's take a look at how to draw it.…We'll select a new part,…start a 2D sketch…and before I jump to that let me go ahead…and save as and this is going to be caddy arm.…
Alright so we have caddy arm.…We're going to do start a new sketch…
Jana reviews techniques such as setting up your project file; creating and modifying geometry; creating extrusions, sweeps, and lofts; and working with Inventor's freeform tools. She also shows how to combine your parts in an assembly, create presentation-quality animations and still renders of the design, and document the product design with working 2D drawings.
- Modeling the caddy base with the Extrude and Hole commands
- Modeling a caddy foot with Revolve
- Modeling ring supports using the Pattern command
- Placing and constraining the model parts in a caddy assembly
- Adjusting materials and appearance
- Adding a handle with the freeform tools
- Creating an exploded view, a technical drawing, and an animation
Skill Level Beginner
Up and Running with Autodesk Inventorwith John Helfen2h 50m Beginner
Migrating from AutoCAD to Inventorwith Thom Tremblay1h 18m Beginner
Sheet Metal Design with Inventorwith Thom Tremblay1h 1m Intermediate
1. Inventor UI and File Management
2. Creating and Modifying the Beverage Caddy Parts
3. Assembling the Beverage Caddy
4. Creating a Rendered Image and Animation of the Caddy Project
Next steps1m 58s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.