Join Jana Schmidt for an in-depth discussion in this video Constraining the ring support subassembly, part of Autodesk Inventor: Product Design Workflow.
- Alright, to continue our goal toward assembling…the components of the beverage caddy,…we are now ready to open our caddy assembly file once again.…So I'll open it from here.…Now, one message you'll get at this point…is Inventor is asking,…"Should I update your assembly in now?"…It's basically because we made some major holes…in the base and so AutoDesk Inventor…is actually saying, "Is it okay to show those updates?"…In this case we definitely want to see those updates.…So you can see now that our feet are still there,…and we have those nice holes that we can…now place the subassembly of the rings…into this main assembly file.…
So we'll do just that.…We'll select Place and we'll go in…and find our ring support assembly, select Open.…And you can place it off to the side if you'd like for now,…and then hit Escape to get out of that,…because we do need to talk about…which constraint or virtual glue that we will use on this.…I think Insert definitely works in this case.…There are multiple different types…of virtual glue or constraints that you can apply…
Jana reviews techniques such as setting up your project file; creating and modifying geometry; creating extrusions, sweeps, and lofts; and working with Inventor's freeform tools. She also shows how to combine your parts in an assembly, create presentation-quality animations and still renders of the design, and document the product design with working 2D drawings.
- Modeling the caddy base with the Extrude and Hole commands
- Modeling a caddy foot with Revolve
- Modeling ring supports using the Pattern command
- Placing and constraining the model parts in a caddy assembly
- Adjusting materials and appearance
- Adding a handle with the freeform tools
- Creating an exploded view, a technical drawing, and an animation
Skill Level Beginner
Up and Running with Autodesk Inventorwith John Helfen2h 50m Beginner
Migrating from AutoCAD to Inventorwith Thom Tremblay1h 18m Beginner
Sheet Metal Design with Inventorwith Thom Tremblay1h 1m Intermediate
1. Inventor UI and File Management
2. Creating and Modifying the Beverage Caddy Parts
3. Assembling the Beverage Caddy
4. Creating a Rendered Image and Animation of the Caddy Project
Next steps1m 58s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.