Join Jana Schmidt for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding a handle with Freeform tools, part of Autodesk Inventor: Product Design Workflow.
- Now that we've prepared our caddy arm…for a handle, we've made those cuts necessary,…we're actually going to use a Freeform tool in Inventor…to create a handle.…Freeform is a really fun tool to work with,…It's a lot like clay, where you can push, pull and mold…and get a more organic shape in the Freeform tool.…So, we'll start with it, all of these always start with…some sort of primitive shape.…We can use a box in this case,…and it prompts you first, to select the plain or face…to place the box, so we're going to select…the top plane of our handle.…
And then it asks us to specify the center,…so we're going to select that very center point on arm,…and our Length probably is going to be good at five.…You can adjust it to your liking,…and again, on the Width, it can be somewhere…between 2 and 2.5.…And the Height, also adjustable,…whichever you select is good,…2 is the Height that I will select.…And the direction, so that you get a centered handle,…be sure and select this double-direction,…or both direction option so that you get symmetrical shape.…
Jana reviews techniques such as setting up your project file; creating and modifying geometry; creating extrusions, sweeps, and lofts; and working with Inventor's freeform tools. She also shows how to combine your parts in an assembly, create presentation-quality animations and still renders of the design, and document the product design with working 2D drawings.
- Modeling the caddy base with the Extrude and Hole commands
- Modeling a caddy foot with Revolve
- Modeling ring supports using the Pattern command
- Placing and constraining the model parts in a caddy assembly
- Adjusting materials and appearance
- Adding a handle with the freeform tools
- Creating an exploded view, a technical drawing, and an animation
Skill Level Beginner
Migrating from AutoCAD to Inventorwith Thom Tremblay1h 18m Beginner
1. Inventor UI and File Management
2. Creating and Modifying the Beverage Caddy Parts
3. Assembling the Beverage Caddy
4. Creating a Rendered Image and Animation of the Caddy Project
Next steps1m 58s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.