Do you ever feel like your projects lack focus? Who is it that you're building your solution for? This video describes how to create descriptions of a few target users and then use those descriptions—personas—in all of your design work. Personas help with ideation, interface design, usability testing, and even to help resolve issues during development.
- So far, you've been out…and observed the problem firsthand.…And you've developed a way of describing that problem…to each other, and to anyone else who needs to know.…Your experience map and your list of pain points and goals…let you speak clearly from the data you gathered.…One thing's missing though.…Who are you building this solution for?…Just saying users, or customers, isn't very useful.…What we want to do is focus in…on a couple of example people…who we know are true users of the product.…
These example people become the personas…that we'll develop the product for.…Ideal people probably don't exist in real life,…so we'll create them.…By giving them the attributes we're looking for,…but keeping them believable by referencing…what we learned during our observations,…we can give the team a good idea…of who they're developing for.…What I have found time and time again is that,…if you build for specific people,…the solution will scale…to other similar groups of individuals.…
This is called carry-over.…Building a truly exceptional product…
Along the way, you'll learn who should be involved, what activities you need to perform, and how to observe users, come up with great ideas, test solutions with prototypes, and plan development. Plus, discover how to avoid the common issues that can get in the way of a successful design thinking session, and the traps that people fall into when using the process for the first time.
- Assembling a team
- Finding a location
- Watching real users
- Mapping the customer journey
- Identifying pain points
- Coming up with good ideas
- Testing ideas with real customers
- Planning development
- Understanding the benefits of design thinking