Digital agencies have done a great job raising awareness of design thinking, but they don't have a monopoly on creativity. Design thinking is a creative process, and if your team follows the same process, you'll be amazed at how creative their solutions can be. Your team has the added advantage of knowing their business and customer types better than an agency ever could.
- I really hope that by walking through the steps involved…in a design thinking exercise,…I've helped you to see that it's not just possible…for you to run the process yourself,…but it's actually preferable.…There are lots of digital agencies out there.…Many of them are pushing design thinking style processes…in one form or another,…and for good reason: the process works.…However, unless the agency is committed…to sitting with your development team until…after you've released several iterations of the product,…they just aren't as committed as they need to be.…
The agency model doesn't lend itself…to embedding with a team.…It's much easier to create a couple of hero shots…of what the UI could look like,…wrap the research up in some glossy presentation slides,…sell the concept to an executive in your company,…and then leave the implementation up to you.…That's crazy.…The real work comes when you have…to turn those pretty pictures into a working prototype…and then into a full-blown product.…If you're working with an agency…
Along the way, you'll learn who should be involved, what activities you need to perform, and how to observe users, come up with great ideas, test solutions with prototypes, and plan development. Plus, discover how to avoid the common issues that can get in the way of a successful design thinking session, and the traps that people fall into when using the process for the first time.
- Assembling a team
- Finding a location
- Watching real users
- Mapping the customer journey
- Identifying pain points
- Coming up with good ideas
- Testing ideas with real customers
- Planning development
- Understanding the benefits of design thinking