The solution to "agency" design thinking is to involve the whole team from the beginning of the process, and to extend the process after ideation and paper prototyping. The last task in the design thinking cycle is to create a story map. The story map is a plan for how to develop each part of the design, in what order, to get the best business value.
- View Offline
- I'm gonna give you a really brief description…of story mapping.…If you want to learn more about this technique…I suggest you get Jeff Patton's book, User Story Mapping,…which describes the process…and the rationale behind it in much more detail.…The story map is a one page or rather one wall explanation…of both the big picture of the product you'll be developing…and the details of what you'll build…to meet those big picture goals.…It describes your release strategy,…the minimum solution, and then incremental improvements,…and how it'll intend to deliver each of those pieces.…
It also highlights gaps in your knowledge,…where you'll want to do more research, prototyping,…or technical investigation to find the best solution.…That sounds like a unicorn, doesn't it?…A mythical beast with magical powers,…but actually it's just a communication tool…to help make sure the whole team is on the same page.…Here's how it works.…First, list out all of the stages in the user's journey…as they use your product.…For instance, discovering that they have an issue,…
Along the way, you'll learn who should be involved, what activities you need to perform, and how to observe users, come up with great ideas, test solutions with prototypes, and plan development. Plus, discover how to avoid the common issues that can get in the way of a successful design thinking session, and the traps that people fall into when using the process for the first time.
- Assembling a team
- Finding a location
- Watching real users
- Mapping the customer journey
- Identifying pain points
- Coming up with good ideas
- Testing ideas with real customers
- Planning development
- Understanding the benefits of design thinking