Join Mike Rankin for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with layers, part of Inkscape Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Like many graphics applications, Inkscape offers you…the ability to organize your artwork with layers.…Let's see how they work.…Layers help you organize your artwork…by putting multiple items in front of or behind others.…Each layer can hold one or more objects…and you can create as many layers as you'd like…or you can keep all your artwork on a single layer.…It's up to you and how complex your artwork is.…Besides organizing your artwork,…there are several reasons why you'd want…to put objects on different layers.…You can show and hide a layer to quickly change…the visibility of all the items on that layer.…
You can lock or unlock a layer to prevent any items…on it from being moved or modified…and you can change the opacity and the way objects…on a layer blend with objects on other layers.…There are three places in Inkscape…where you work with layers.…There's a Layers menu, a Layers Dialog,…and the Status Bar at the bottom of the window.…Now, I can show the Layer Dialog…by going to the Layer menu and choosing Layers…
- Downloading and installing Inkscape
- Creating new documents
- Importing AI and EPS files in Inkscape
- Working with input devices like tablets
- Drawing basic shapes
- Scaling and rotating objects
- Adding fills and strokes
- Using Inkscape extensions
- Adding and editing text
- Printing and exporting Inkscape artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Drawing Vector Graphics: Patternswith Von Glitschka4h Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Navigating an Inkscape Document
3. Drawing Basic Shapes
4. Transforming Objects
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Using Filters
7. Using Extensions
8. Creating Complex Shapes
9. Working with Text
10. Printing and Exporting Artwork
Next steps1m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.