Join Mike Rankin for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Dropper tool to sample and apply colors, part of Inkscape Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- With the Dropper tool, you can sample colors…and opacity from anywhere on your canvas,…and then apply them to selected objects,…so let's check it out.…Here in my document I have three identical…groups of objects and that's because…I want to show you three options…for working with the Dropper tool controls.…In each group, I have a purple opaque…object on the top,…a partially transparent blue object in the middle,…and a green opaque object on the bottom.…I can press the keyboard shortcut D…to get the dropper tool,…or select it from the toolbox.…
And note that pressing the D key…is a toggle, that you can use to…go back and forth between whatever tool…you're currently using, in the Dropper.…So, let's say I want to recolor the purple objects.…I'll press D to get the selector back.…Select the first purple object,…and then press D again to get the Dropper.…Now in the tool controls,…I can see there's just two controls,…opacity, pick, and assign.…These refer to picking the alpha…or transparency of an object,…and then assigning it to the selected object.…
- Downloading and installing Inkscape
- Creating new documents
- Importing AI and EPS files in Inkscape
- Working with input devices like tablets
- Drawing basic shapes
- Scaling and rotating objects
- Adding fills and strokes
- Using Inkscape extensions
- Adding and editing text
- Printing and exporting Inkscape artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Drawing Vector Graphics: Patternswith Von Glitschka4h Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Navigating an Inkscape Document
3. Drawing Basic Shapes
4. Transforming Objects
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Using Filters
7. Using Extensions
8. Creating Complex Shapes
9. Working with Text
10. Printing and Exporting Artwork
Next steps1m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.