Join Mike Rankin for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating rectangles, part of Inkscape Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- One of the first things you need to know…in any graphics program is how to create…basic shapes, like rectangles.…And that's what we'll be looking at in this movie.…Here in the Toolbox, I have a tool…for making rectangles and squares.…If I select it, or press the keyboard shortcut "r",…and then drag on the canvas, I can make a rectangle.…If I want the rectangle to be centered…on the point where I started dragging,…I can hold the Shift key as I drag.…If I drag and hold the Control key,…I can constrain the height and width in certain ways.…
If I drag diagonally, the shape is constrained…to a square, or a one-to-one ratio…of width and height, and if I drag more off…to the side, I get the golden ratio,…I get a two-to-one ratio, three-to-one ratio, and so on.…It helps to keep your eye on the Status bar…at the bottom of the screen to know…exactly what ratio you currently have.…Once the shape is drawn, I can use handles…to re-shape it, so I can drag freely,…or I can hold the Control key to re-size…just the height, or just the width,…
- Downloading and installing Inkscape
- Creating new documents
- Importing AI and EPS files in Inkscape
- Working with input devices like tablets
- Drawing basic shapes
- Scaling and rotating objects
- Adding fills and strokes
- Using Inkscape extensions
- Adding and editing text
- Printing and exporting Inkscape artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Drawing Vector Graphics: Patternswith Von Glitschka4h Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Navigating an Inkscape Document
3. Drawing Basic Shapes
4. Transforming Objects
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Using Filters
7. Using Extensions
8. Creating Complex Shapes
9. Working with Text
10. Printing and Exporting Artwork
Next steps1m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.