Join Mike Rankin for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating drop shadows, part of Inkscape Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Drop shadows can make a piece of artwork stand out or pop…by giving it a contrasting background.…So let's see how to create…adjustable drop shadows in Inkscape.…Here in the exercise file, I have a map…with some landmark pins on it,…and I'd like to experiment…with some shadow effects on the pins…to make them stand out a little bit more.…I'll start by zooming in a little bit,…and switch to the Select Tool…and I'm going to copy this orange pin.…I'll select it and then press the space bar,…and drag out the duplicate.…Now, to make a basic drop shadow,…with the object selected, I'll choose Filters,…Shadows and Glows, Drop Shadow.…
I'll turn on the Live Preview,…and we'll start with the Outer shadow type.…So I have options for the Blur radius,…which is the size of the shadow,…I'll take that down.…And then I have Horizontal and Vertical offsets.…I'll bring those in closer to the object.…And if I want the shadow directly behind the object,…I can even change these to zero.…And maybe increase the Blur radius a bit…to make the shadow a little bit more visible.…
- Downloading and installing Inkscape
- Creating new documents
- Importing AI and EPS files in Inkscape
- Working with input devices like tablets
- Drawing basic shapes
- Scaling and rotating objects
- Adding fills and strokes
- Using Inkscape extensions
- Adding and editing text
- Printing and exporting Inkscape artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Drawing Vector Graphics: Patternswith Von Glitschka4h Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Navigating an Inkscape Document
3. Drawing Basic Shapes
4. Transforming Objects
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Using Filters
7. Using Extensions
8. Creating Complex Shapes
9. Working with Text
10. Printing and Exporting Artwork
Next steps1m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.