Join Mike Rankin for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding text, part of Inkscape Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Inkscape is a drawing program…and you wouldn't want to try to create a book…or any other complex text document with it,…but Inkscape does have some basic features…for adding text to your artwork.…In this movie, we'll see how to add the two main types…of text in Inkscape, regular text and flow text.…So to add text to your document,…you're going to use the Text tool…so I'll select that from the Toolbar…and there are two things that I can do at this point.…If I click and then start typing,…I'll just create regular text.…
And regular text continues on in a straight line.…It won't wrap unless I press enter or return.…The other way to add text is to click and drag…with the Text tool to define an area to contain the text…and this is called flow text in Inkscape.…So I'll just click and drag…and then type the same text.…And as I type, see how the text wraps…to new lines automatically when it reaches the right side…of the area that I dragged.…I can change the size of the text area at any time…by dragging the control in the bottom right corner…
- Downloading and installing Inkscape
- Creating new documents
- Importing AI and EPS files in Inkscape
- Working with input devices like tablets
- Drawing basic shapes
- Scaling and rotating objects
- Adding fills and strokes
- Using Inkscape extensions
- Adding and editing text
- Printing and exporting Inkscape artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Drawing Vector Graphics: Patternswith Von Glitschka4h Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Navigating an Inkscape Document
3. Drawing Basic Shapes
4. Transforming Objects
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Using Filters
7. Using Extensions
8. Creating Complex Shapes
9. Working with Text
10. Printing and Exporting Artwork
Next steps1m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.