Join Mike Rankin for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding fills to your objects, part of Inkscape Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Most of the paths you create in Inkscape will end up…with a fill color or a pattern applied to them.…So, let's take a look at how to fill paths.…I'll start with a new document…and I'll just draw a rectangle…by clicking and dragging with the Rectangle Tool.…Notice that it comes in with the default fill color.…This came from my Inkscape preferences…and you can see the default fill and stroke values…up in the tool controls.…If I double-click on the fill,…it opens up the Preferences.…And here's where I can set the default fill.…
As I've mentioned in other movies,…here I can choose the last used style…or consistent style for all the new rectangles that I draw…and I can define that style by copying it…from a selected object.…To change the fill color of an object on my canvas,…I can click on a swatch at the bottom of the screen…and I can pick different sets of swatches and apply them,…from this menu on the right-hand side.…So I could pick something like gold swatches…and pick one of these tones.…I can also change fill colors in the Fill dialog box…
- Downloading and installing Inkscape
- Creating new documents
- Importing AI and EPS files in Inkscape
- Working with input devices like tablets
- Drawing basic shapes
- Scaling and rotating objects
- Adding fills and strokes
- Using Inkscape extensions
- Adding and editing text
- Printing and exporting Inkscape artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Drawing Vector Graphics: Patternswith Von Glitschka4h Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Navigating an Inkscape Document
3. Drawing Basic Shapes
4. Transforming Objects
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Using Filters
7. Using Extensions
8. Creating Complex Shapes
9. Working with Text
10. Printing and Exporting Artwork
Next steps1m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.