Join Josh Modglin for an in-depth discussion in this video Terrain themes, part of InfraWorks 360 Essential Training.
- [Instrustor] For those who are familiar with GIS themes are pretty much standard in any GIS software. But we are not working in GIS software specifically we're working in Inforworks 360 but we can take some of the ideas of themes and apply them. So again we are in the build, manage and analyze your infrastructure model menu. And at the end here is our analyze model features. We are in our highway 129 model and we have chosen to set our terrain themes underscore start proposal as our starting proposal here.
We are just going to change that and add a new proposal and name it terrain themes exercise. And now notice that we have a few different themes here. What we are going to do is we are going to choose the terrain themes. And we are going to create a new terrain theme. A terrain theme allows us to use many different ways to analyze, we can analyze by elevation aspect or slope. We are going to create a new theme of elevation and what it's going to do is it's going to provide as coloration theme in the background based on the elevations of our terrain.
We'll name this LinkedIn as our new theme, the minimum and maximum value is the minimum and maximum value by default of our model in this case. How many rules? The more rules of course that you apply, the more colors that you will have, the more ranges that you will have. And then some transparency so wee can see through these color themes and see the information on the other side. So we'll crank our transparency up a bit. And of course you can change the color scheme from red to blue to all these different things, but I prefer to just use a different palette type.
And the one I prefer for elevations is what's referred to as the contour palette. This is the straight out of the box here from Auotdesk and again it matches somewhat what we are used to. The lower lying ground being green and the higher the terrain goes the browner it gets. So go ahead and click okay and you see the overlay occur now with our terrain theme. And we are able to see that our building is in a general area that is low lying as a whole.
So now it flags us that there is going to be a potential flood hazard scenario here. As we have a creek running down though here and we see the range of those elevations and how far they reach. And so the terrain theme really gives us an understanding of general basin and watershed as well as how much that we are working with when we do the terrain theme for elevations but we may also have a terrain theme for slopes.
And knowing if we need to stay away from certain edges of our property with regard to subdivision layout or something similar to that due to extreme slopes. So terrain themes a really gives us a nice visual in the background to be able to do that conceptual design.
- What is InfraWorks?
- Model Builder and Model Explorer
- Navigation tools
- Creating roads, buildings, land areas, and city furniture
- Using query tools
- Terrain and feature themes
- Working with styles
- Adding decorations
- Designing roads, bridges, and drainage
- Creating a storyboard