Join Josh Modglin for an in-depth discussion in this video Proposal layouts, part of InfraWorks 2018 Essential Training.
- [Instructor] Last section of the user interface. Of course, we've been really spending a lot of time focused on the upper menu bar here. You can have a discussion with your group with this infrastructure design. You can manage the model and put it in view for the browser. But we've already looked at the views. Undo and redo are pretty straightforward. Bookmarks. Again, full-screen is pretty straightforward. So, we're going to spend the rest of the time on the interface connected to what is called layouts.
Layouts are what we used to do in AutoCAD. We would have option one drawing file, option two drawing file, option three drawing file, and so on. And we'd have all these different drawing files showing all the different concepts that we were coming up with. And we'd have to set up the print and do all these different things for each option. Another means that a lot of users have done is they have it all in one file but they copy the option or layout to coordinates way out in space so they can kind of move the layout in place.
But the layout here allows us to come up with all these different options, or proposals, right inside the same model. So, I'm going to name this proposal Layout 1, and I'm just going to draw something really quick. Of course, you haven't learned much of the drawing functionality yet. We're going to get to that in a second. But I'm just going to draw a road here. We're going to just put a road somewhere like right there.
And so, we've created this design. I didn't connect it perfectly at the end, but, if I could fix that a little bit. Get a proper intersection. There we go. So we have this road that we drew in here, the style and all that stuff we'll talk about in a minute. But if I change back to the master view, or master proposal, that road is no longer there. And so, we can have Layout 1 with a road there. We can create another layout, we'll call this Layout 2.
And I'm going to delete this road in Layout 2, and we're going to come up with a better road design for that. Let's get something a little bit simpler. We're going to come with that road from this. Up and have at least proper intersections. And there we have that road built in. Obviously we need some dirt there, but you see that we can do another layout here and come up with a different proposal here.
And so, if I go back to Layout 1, it has that road. Layout 2 has my little U-court road there. So you can come up with all these different options using the proposals. And what we're going to do as we get through the different exercises, you're going to find that each exercise that has some type of work that we're going to do together is going to have its own proposal. And so that way, you can work within that exercise, still within the same model, and just make the adjustments to each proposal as we go.
- What is InfraWorks?
- Model Builder and Model Explorer
- Navigation tools
- Creating roads, buildings, land areas, and city furniture
- Using query tools
- Terrain and feature themes
- Working with styles
- Adding decorations
- Designing roads, bridges, and drainage
- Creating a storyboard