Join Josh Modglin for an in-depth discussion in this video History and purpose, part of InfraWorks 360 Essential Training.
- [Narrator] As we begin to look at InfraWorks 360 the first question we have to answer is what is Autodesk InfraWorks? Well InfraWorks started off within AutoDesk Labs from the ground up as a tool for urban planning. And as it was developing and in beta test more and more individuals saw the benefits that InfraWorks could bring well beyond urban planning. So as development proceeded, this tool now became an infrastructure design software.
And the means to accomplish the infrastructure design all of the design is accomplished visually. So we have the different tools available to us whether it's road design, bridge design, whether we do water and hydrology and work with this type of drainage design, or we're simply creating our model in a very conceptual form. All of this is available to us plus it gives a very easy means to visually display this to our clients or to the public at different presentations or hearings.
So we're able to put together a design and almost now at this point take the design to a 30 percent level, accomplish all our schematic work right within InfraWorks and accomplish this in such a way that we can get buy-in by our client or the public as needed before we complete the design with planned production tools within Civil 3D. Now as the software progresses could the future be that we don't ever have to print anything? That in the future everything will be accomplished within a visual software and we'll be able to share that visual design with our client and even the construction and the contractor so that they can build using that virtual design to construct.
We look forward to seeing how the future progresses with the software, but for now it is an amazing software to help us accomplish not only good schematics but accomplishing a design that we can get estimates and run proper calculations for so that again, we've done not only a pretty sketch but something that is realistic to build.
- What is InfraWorks?
- Model Builder and Model Explorer
- Navigation tools
- Creating roads, buildings, land areas, and city furniture
- Using query tools
- Terrain and feature themes
- Working with styles
- Adding decorations
- Designing roads, bridges, and drainage
- Creating a storyboard