Learn about the hierarchy of SharePoint and where to create site columns for use.
- [Instructor] As the name implies,…site columns can be used anywhere in your sites,…but with one important caveat,…location, location, location!…Planning your site columns and where they need…to be placed is very important.…We've previously identified our columns…and now we need to strategize…where to create those in SharePoint.…Again, let's envision the SharePoint hierarchy…as an organization chart.…Site columns can only be used at…the current site level and all sites below…the tier in which they are created.…For example, if we create the site columns on…the catering site, those columns would not…be available for use in the sales site.…
If catering and sales maintain their own site columns,…those columns not only have to be maintained separately,…but they can cause conflicts if you try to use…the same name in two different places.…A better strategy would be to create…the site columns as high up in…the hierarchy as possible so that…the columns would be available to all sites…that fall below that tier in the organizational structure.…
AuthorShari L Oswald
- Why automate your documents?
- Planning your templates
- Creating a template library
- Working with content types
- Setting up the template library
- Building document libraries
- Creating and customizing document sets
- Adding a document to a library
Skill Level Advanced
SharePoint: Compliance Managementwith Tiffany Songvilay1h 25m Intermediate
SharePoint for Enterprise: Create Web Surveyswith Gini von Courter52m 28s Intermediate
SharePoint for Enterprise: Data Managementwith Phil Gold1h 45m Intermediate
2. Working with Site Columns
3. Working with Content Types
4. Setting Up the Template Library
5. Building Your Document Libraries
Creating a library1m 3s
6. Working with Document Sets
7. Adding Documents to a Library
Next steps1m 25s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.