Join Amy Balliett for an in-depth discussion in this video What is visual communication?, part of Infographics Fundamentals.
- To fully understand infographic design it's important to first clarify what visual communication is and why it matters. The term visual communication has evolved over the years, but for the purposes of this course, I would like to suggest the following definition. Visual communication graphically represents information to efficiently and effectively create meaning. In other words, to share information visually the image or pictures must be the main method of conveying that information by dominating over text-based or audible communication.
As an example, take this symbol. Without any words associated to this icon, one can quickly discern that it means that someone has fallen or will fall. Now, let's add a single shape to further expand upon the meaning. If we take the universal symbol for danger and merge it with the falling man, the combined imagery tells us that there is a danger of falling. Finally, by adding just a few words for context the full meaning is unveiled.
And sure, while a sign in the middle of a freshly-washed floor could just say, caution, wet floor, the symbol provided gives far more context. It says you can slip, fall, and break your back, don't walk here, without having to included all of that text. And have you noticed that many of those signs actually just say piso mojado and not wet floor? Yet we all universally know what they mean. This is the power of visual communication. When done correctly, it can supersede language barriers.
So let's recap, visual communication uses images to display a message with very limited amount of text to supply the final bit of context needed to hone that message. Not all visual communication requires text. In fact, the most successful visual communication doesn't rely on text at all. As we dive into the different types of visual communication in chapter two, I'll explain that further.
In this course, Amy Balliett, CEO of Killer Infographics, shows members how to create engaging and successful infographics that will stand out from the crowd. She explains the science behind good visual communication, reviews the different types of infographics, and introduces design principles and techniques that will help you build engaging and successful infographics.
- Why visual communication matters
- Types of infographics
- Focusing on message and accuracy
- Researching the infographic
- Building a wireframe design
- Working in Adobe Illustrator
- Publishing and marketing your infographic