Learn how to create and share design system assets and specs with broader project teams using the InVision Design System Manager (DSM) platform.
- [Instructor] If you're a designer in today's world, then there's no doubt that you've come across a brand, a product, or a platform that was built on a design system. A design system is a set of objects with clear guidelines, which are reusable, editable, and flexible. These systems help designers maintain a consistent design experience along with eliminating both design and technical debt. Those guidelines, objects, and resources can be overwhelming to manage and govern. Designers are often searching across countless wikis for the right information.
And then they also have the overhead of making sure that multiple designers, engineers, and product managers know who, what, and where the final assets are. InVision's design system manager, or DSM, was built to solve this problem. All stakeholders have a single source of truth when it comes to both the visual and the functional patterns that make up a company's product. I'd like to walk you through the full capabilities of DSM, and help you get up and running quickly. Hi, my name is Drew Bridewell.
I'm a senior design specialist at InVision where I focus on elevating user experience practices across the globe, along with improving team's processes around collaboration and design. I also host Practical UX Weekly, a weekly series on both Lynda.com and LinkedIn Learning. Building a design system can be intimidating and overwhelming, but don't worry. I'm here to walk you through a practical step by step process to leveraging the power of this tool on your own projects. So if you're ready to get cranking on building out a design system with DSM, then let's dive right in.
- Creating a new library
- Adding and editing components
- Adding context to your components
- Adding your design language to DSM
- Inviting team members to use DSM
- Setting roles and permissions
- Releasing design system versions
- Pulling the latest library inside of DSM
- Additional pro tips inside of DSM