Join Kevin Callahan for an in-depth discussion in this video XHTML file, part of Creating Fixed-Layout eBooks for the Kindle.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- The XHTML for a Kindle fix-layout project…contains just one page or spread.…Unlike a reflowable book where a single file might…contain a chapter or more, a fixed-layout format requires…page by page or a spread by spread structure.…Let's look at a sample HTML page from The Little Red Hen.…The top couple lines you'll see in every eBook.…They're always there, reflowable or fixed-layout.…Then we come to the head where we see the title of…the book and the link to the style sheet associated…with this particular page.…
Then we come to the body where all the content…for the page lives.…The body begins at the top and then comes way down…here at the bottom after everything is finished.…Everything has to be enclosed in the body.…All the content.…The first couple of lines we'll talk about in…a movie coming up.…And here we see a block of text and another block of text.…Actually this has an image in it, not text.…Here we see the text enclosed in the P tags,…as in any HTML page.…So we have several blocks of text or images on this page.…
- What is a fixed-layout ebook?
- Good candidates for fixed layout
- Comparing the Kindle format to EPUB3
- Managing fonts
- Inserting images
- Using the Kindle Previewer
- Exporting InDesign documents for Kindle formatting
- Working with the Kindle fixed-layout template
- Using media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout Format
2. Comparing the Kindle Fixed-Layout File Structure to EPUB3
3. Preparing an InDesign Document for Export
4. Working with the Kindle Fixed-Layout Template
5. Designing Region Magnification (Pop-Ups)
6. Using Kindle Previewer to Create Your Fixed-Layout Ebook
Using Kindle Previewer5m 29s
7. Bonus Kindle Features
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.