Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with tracked changes, part of Word and InDesign: Integration.
Not a lot of people know that InDesign can understand Word's track changes markup.…I don't know why the InDesign user would ever want to see the track changes markup (LAUGH).…I'm going to show you how that's done. But more importantly, I've heard from a…few different people that when Word files start acting weirdly in InDesign.…That the cause could be that there are track changes in the document that need to…be accepted or rejected and then reflowed. I'll be talking more about that in the…upcoming videos when I talk about fixing Word problems.…But FYI I'll be referring people back to this video to show how to view the track…changes and how to turn them off. That is accept or reject them.…
It doesn't look like there's any track changes going on in this Word document,…right, oh, but yes, there is. You have to go to the view that lets you…see them. And depending on the version of Word that…you have, you'll find that command in different places.…Right now we're using Word 2011 for the Macintosh.…And we have to look under the Review ribbon.…
- Understanding the differences between InDesign and Word styles
- Identifying which formatting attributes transfer and which don't
- Controlling text formatting when cutting and pasting
- Placing Word files in InDesign with the Import Options dialog box
- Linking to Word files for automatic updating
- Working with footnotes, hyperlinks, and tracked changes
- Learning best practices for fixing text formatting
- Extracting embedded images and converting Word art
- Converting local formatting to character styles with free scripts
- Round-tripping to InDesign RTF to clear out file corruption
- Syncing Google Docs with InDesign via DocsFlow
- Converting Word docs to InCopy for fast and accurate formatting
Skill Level Intermediate
1. InDesign and Word Formatting Essentials
2. Best Practices for Getting Word Text into InDesign
3. Importing Other Word Elements into InDesign
4. Fixing Common Problems with Imported Word Text
5. Troubleshooting and Repairing Word Files
6. Exploring Alternatives to Word-Only Editorial Design Workflows
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.