Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with text wraps, part of InDesign Typography Part 2.
- [Voiceover] Text wraps are an opportunity…to add visual interest to a page.…With text wraps, a boring picture can…become an intriguing shape,…or a boxy layout can be made unique.…To create a text wrap around this image,…I'm going to select it,…come to the Window menu,…and open up my Text wrap panel.…I'll choose Wrap Around Object Shape,…and for the Contour options,…Alpha Channel.…This option exists because the image has…been modified in Photoshop to add a layer mask…and then if I want, I can adjust the amount…of offset, the distance from the edge of the image,…to the text.…
For a good text wrap, all you need is common sense…and a little tweaking.…Here are a few simple precautions.…Avoid text wraps in a single column,…where the text wraps around the entire shape of the graphic.…Such text wraps disrupt the horizontal flow of the text,…and readers may be confused about whether…to jump over the graphic,…or continue reading down the column.…Text wraps tend to work better with justified type.…
Because left-aligned type has a ragged edge,…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.