Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with page breaks, part of Using Word and InDesign Together.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
What about those page breaks? So many Word files have page breaks.…When you import a word file into InDesign, or at least when I do, I almost always…say, ignore the page breaks. because what makes sense in Word as a…place to break a page, might not make sense at all in Indesign when it's a…completely different page size and area for life text, and maybe it's in multiple…columns, and so on. I usually just say ignore, but sometimes…they come in handy. So let's take a closer look at page breaks…and how they work with Word in InDesign. I have here, our catalog text.…
Right now there are no page breaks at all, and in case you're wondering how to insert…a page breaks in Word. You just click somewhere, wherever you…want to insert it, like oh, I want to insert it right after this paragraph and…in Word 2011 on the Mac, that I'm using, go to Insert > Break > Page Break.…There's other breaks here that we'll look at in a second, but let's just choose a…Page Break and that forces the text to the next page, let's do that a couple more times.…
- Understanding the differences between InDesign and Word styles
- Identifying which formatting attributes transfer and which don't
- Controlling text formatting when cutting and pasting
- Placing Word files in InDesign with the Import Options dialog box
- Linking to Word files for automatic updating
- Working with footnotes, hyperlinks, and tracked changes
- Learning best practices for fixing text formatting
- Extracting embedded images and converting Word art
- Converting local formatting to character styles with free scripts
- Round-tripping to InDesign RTF to clear out file corruption
- Syncing Google Docs with InDesign via DocsFlow
- Converting Word docs to InCopy for fast and accurate formatting
Skill Level Intermediate
1. InDesign and Word Formatting Essentials
2. Best Practices for Getting Word Text into InDesign
3. Importing Other Word Elements into InDesign
4. Fixing Common Problems with Imported Word Text
5. Troubleshooting and Repairing Word Files
6. Exploring Alternatives to Word-Only Editorial Design Workflows
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.