Join Kevin Callahan for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with the navigation documents, part of Creating Fixed-Layout eBooks for the Kindle.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- The template includes two navigation documents.…One is backwards looking for older devices…and the other is for current devices.…So let's take a look at them.…And they're right here in the package folder,…toc.ncx, toc.xhtml.…And let's look at them inside Dreamweaver.…First the .ncx is the legacy document,…it was used in EPUB 2,…it's really not used in the Kindle…Fixed Layout format anymore,…but it's a legacy document…that is just sort of hanging on.…And basically the way it works…is each element in the book,…or each chapter, or each major section…would have a navPoint entry…into which you would enter the name of the entry,…in this case we're just pointing to The Little Red Hen,…to the very first page,…which lives here on page01, content source.…
And that's about it.…If you're going to be adding more elements…then you just copy and paste this,…make sure to change navPoint 1 and playOrder 1…to navPoint 2 and playOrder 2,…navPoint 3, playOrder 3,…for each element that you're adding.…The toc.xhtml is the EPUB 3 standard now.…
- What is a fixed-layout ebook?
- Good candidates for fixed layout
- Comparing the Kindle format to EPUB3
- Managing fonts
- Inserting images
- Using the Kindle Previewer
- Exporting InDesign documents for Kindle formatting
- Working with the Kindle fixed-layout template
- Using media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout Format
2. Comparing the Kindle Fixed-Layout File Structure to EPUB3
3. Preparing an InDesign Document for Export
4. Working with the Kindle Fixed-Layout Template
5. Designing Region Magnification (Pop-Ups)
6. Using Kindle Previewer to Create Your Fixed-Layout Ebook
Using Kindle Previewer5m 29s
7. Bonus Kindle Features
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.