Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with a grid, part of InDesign: Typography Part 2.
- [Voiceover] This movie is an overview of using a…baseline grid and a layout grid in InDesign.…For more in-depth information,…check out my Working with Grids in InDesign course…here on Lynda.com.…So your grid is made up of the following elements:…we have the type area,…the area inside the margins,…we have rows,…and we have columns.…Between the rows and columns,…we have gutters.…The rows and columns define grid fields.…
Each grid field has what's referred to as the active corner,…the top left-hand corner of the grid field,…and it's usually to this top left-hand corner…that you align elements.…I like to establish a layout grid on the master page spread…using the column guides feature.…I'll press W to turn on my guides.…To establish the layout grid,…on the master pages,…come to Layout and Create Guides.…
In my margins and columns, I have 12 columns set up,…to which I've also added eight rows.…If I remove those rows, I can add them again.…Working in conjunction with the layout grid…is the baseline grid.…I'll turn this on.…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.