Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with footnotes, part of Word and InDesign: Integration.
A lot of Word documents have footnotes, and luckily footnotes are pretty easy to…bring into InDesign and any version I think post CS4.…We're looking at a Word document in Word 2011 on the Mac, and it may work the same…regardless of platform or version. This document has a few footnotes right up here.…And you insert a footnote in Word, in case you're wondering if you're not a Word…user, in the ribbon. Look for wherever (UNKNOWN) elements are,…and you can insert footnote right here by clicking this little guy.…I'm going to undo, or you can go to Insert Footnote and enter the footnote there.…
There are also a lot of extra features that you can use with footnotes in Word.…Unfortunately, all the bells and whistles are mostly stripped out when you bring it…into InDesign. Like for example, if you change the format…for the numbering to something else, that's ignored.…And it's always reset back to 1, 2, 3 in InDesign.…Same thing for starting at and custom marks.…So, don't even bother trying to maintain that.…So, that's our Word document, let's bring that into InDesign.…
- Understanding the differences between InDesign and Word styles
- Identifying which formatting attributes transfer and which don't
- Controlling text formatting when cutting and pasting
- Placing Word files in InDesign with the Import Options dialog box
- Linking to Word files for automatic updating
- Working with footnotes, hyperlinks, and tracked changes
- Learning best practices for fixing text formatting
- Extracting embedded images and converting Word art
- Converting local formatting to character styles with free scripts
- Round-tripping to InDesign RTF to clear out file corruption
- Syncing Google Docs with InDesign via DocsFlow
- Converting Word docs to InCopy for fast and accurate formatting
Skill Level Intermediate
1. InDesign and Word Formatting Essentials
2. Best Practices for Getting Word Text into InDesign
3. Importing Other Word Elements into InDesign
4. Fixing Common Problems with Imported Word Text
5. Troubleshooting and Repairing Word Files
6. Exploring Alternatives to Word-Only Editorial Design Workflows
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.