- There's very little that you need to know in order to understand this course. I assume that you've never created an EPUB before, that you're not quite sure what an EPUB is. So don't worry about that. But I do assume that you know your way around InDesign up to a advanced beginner level, that you know how to move around and how to create things. And if you want to get up to speed with that I suggest that you watch some of David's wonderful videos in InDesign Essential Training on lynda.com. For Windows users I want to ask you to take a minute to download Adobe Digital Editions.
I do cover this in a video in chapter two on Gathering Software, if you want to jump forward and watch that first only because you are not going to be able to preview any EPUBs on your desktop unless you have the software and Windows does not come with it. On a Mac it comes with iBooks and that's not a big deal. So please go to Adobe Digital Editions and download and install the software. One other thing that Windows users can do to make life a lot easier on yourselves is to make sure and turn on Show All File Extensions.
By default Windows hides file extensions and we talk a lot about GIFs and JPGs and EPUBs and INDD files and you're not going to see those extensions in the Open and Save dialogue boxes or on your desktop. Here if you don't know how to do that it's very simple. You just go to Folder Options, go to the View panel and turn off the checkbox that says Hide extensions for known file types. Here is a URL if you're not sure how to do it that will step you through it. That's really all you need to do. Let's get ready to jump in.
- Choosing between fixed-layout and reflowable EPUB
- Creating an EPUB workspace in InDesign
- Managing the sequence of content
- Creating a table of contents for navigation
- Working with book files and Word documents
- Adding metadata
- Cleaning up text formatting
- Mapping text styles
- Optimizing images for EPUB export
- Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
- Previewing and validating EPUB files
- Converting EPUBs to other formats
Skill Level Beginner
InDesign CC 2013 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner9h 30m Beginner
1. Understanding the Nature of EPUBs
2. Setting Up and Testing
3. Preparing the InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Optimizing Text for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Understanding the EPUB Export Options Dialog Box
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB files
8. Converting the EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
9. Keeping Up with the Field
Next steps3m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.