An explanation of the vertical alignment options
- [Voiceover] As well as the horizontal alignment…of your text, InDesign also has…options for its vertical alignment.…These are found under the object menu…in the text frame options style up box,…keyboard shortcut command or control B.…The default is to align to the top.…(clicking)…Also in the text frame options…are your first baseline offset options.…These determine the start position…of the type in the text frame.…
Rarely is there a reason to change…from the default of ascent,…especially because using a baseline grid…overrides these options,…effectively giving the same result as the letting option.…It's important to note that there will be…a small amount of space between the top of the text frame…and the top of the first line of type.…So if you're aligning an element relative to the text,…make sure that you align it to the top of the caps…rather than to the top of the text frame.…
And an easy way to do that is to draw down a guide…to the top of the caps and then any element…aligned next to that text frame should align to that guide.…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Intermediate
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.