Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Using white space, part of InDesign: Typography Part 2.
- [Voiceover] In the same way as a city needs…parks and open spaces, a page layout needs white space.…White space isn't necessarily white,…but any consciously designed open space within the document.…White space can be divided into…micro white space and macro white space.…By micro white space I mean letter spacing,…word spacing, leading, and text indents.…
By macro white space I mean margins which frame a page,…spaces between paragraphs which enhance readability…and help establish hierarchy, columns and gutters,…and spaces around images and other graphic elements.…I'll now turn all of those layers off.…I'm gonna go to the first spread in this document.…Here I have a mass of text information.…On the next spread I've organized…the same content into a seven-column grid.…
I'll press W to show my guides.…I've added subheads to make the information…more approachable, paragraph indents to make the text…more readable, and pull quotes to add visual interest.…White space tends to work best in asymmetrical layouts…where the intentionally unequal amount of white space…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.