The purpose of text insets as well as some limitations of this feature.
- [Voiceover] Text insets are interior margins…or padding within a text frame.…They're applied through Text Frame Options.…Object menu, Text Frame Options,…or Command or Control B.…Keep in mind that inset spacing…and paragraph indents are cumulative.…For example, if you add a one-pica inset…to a frame containing text with a one pica left indent,…your text is then indented by two picas.…Most text frames do not require an inset,…but if your text is visually boxed,…for example, informational text in a colored…or tinted frame as I have here, then an inset…is necessary to give the text some breathing room.…
Typically the inset will be equal on all sides,…and you can ensure this is the case…by making sure the chain icon is unbroken.…I'm gonna press W to turn on my guides.…Sometimes you'll want to set the indent spacing…independently, and that's the case with this sidebar…which bleeds off the edge of the page,…and so for its spacing I need to factor in…not only the top and right margins,…but also an extra nine points,…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.