Join Mike Rankin for an in-depth discussion in this video Using layers in interactive documents, part of InDesign CC 2014: Interactive Documents.
Whether your intended output is EPUB, DPS, PDF, or any other kind of…interactive document, it's usually a good idea to organize your content with layers.…It takes a little time to set up and a little care to maintain,…but in the long run, it'll help you avoid trouble and give you more flexibility.…So, let's take a look at how to organize layers in interactive documents.…Now, I want to start by saying that while I do think…it's a good idea to keep your documents structured with layers,…you shouldn't go over board creating tones of layers and over complicating things.…
In general, make your document as simple as…possible to keep it easy to understand and use.…In most cases, I like to start out…with five layers: navigation, text, images, background, and guides.…And if you have media like audio and…video, you might want to add a layer for those.…So, in my document, I'll open the Layers panel.…And right now, I have Layer one.…I'll click on it to rename it, and I'll call it Guides.…Now to create the second layer, I'll hold Option or Alt…
- Overview of interactive document types
- Enhancing a project with interactive objects
- Setting up hyperlinks, page transitions, and a table of contents
- Understanding media formats
- Adding HTML animations
- Manage folios with the Folio Producer
- Creating EPUBs
- Adapting a page layout for mobile devices with Liquid Layout
- Changing page designs with primary text frames
- Formatting text with text style mapping
- Workflows for designing interactive documents
- Customizing the workspace
- Organizing content with layers
- Using third-party scripts to work on interactive documents
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 09/02/2014. What changed?
A: We added movies on creating navigational TOCs and new support for fixed-layout EPUBs in InDesign CC.
Q: This course was updated on 12/12/2014. What changed?
A: We added two new movies covering updates to the EPUB workflow, and revised five movies to reflect other changes in InDesign CC 2014.1.
InDesign CS6: EPUB Kindle and iPadwith Anne-Marie Concepción7h 33m Intermediate
InDesign CS6: Interactive Documentswith Mike Rankin5h 11m Intermediate
1. Setting Up InDesign for Working with Interactive Documents
2. Types of Interactive Documents You Can Make with InDesign
3. Working with Interactive Objects
4. Using Navigation Tools
5. Multimedia Tools
6. Tools for Creating Digital Publishing Apps
7. Tools for Creating EPUBs
8. Tools for Adapting Layouts
9. Interactive Document Workflows
10. Advanced InDesign Workflows for Interactive Documents
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.