Discover a few basic points on using layers in Adobe InDesign in this video.
- [Instructor] In design, layers make it easier … for you to work with grids efficiently, … and if you've been watching the whole of this course … you'll have seen me use layers repeatedly. … I like to have my pictures on one layer, … my text on another, and I also like to put … my major grid rulings, my layout grid, … on it's own separate layer. … That way I can show and hide that, … and when it's hidden I can still see my basic … margin guides and I can still see my frame edges. … Of course, if I want to hide all of those visual … aides I can press "W". … If I wanted to hide everything, … but a certain layer, hold down the option/alt key … and click on its eyeball. … Doing so again will show all of the layers. … The same approach will work with locking … and unlocking a layer. … If I want to lock everything but the pictures … layer, option/alt click and then do so again … to unlock everything. … Layers can make it easier to select the content … that you're after, especially when using …
- Why grids matter
- Setting up a modular grid
- Determining margins, page size, and aspect ratio
- Creating a baseline grid
- Creating a cap height grid
- Text wraps and grids
- Object styles and grid
- Using the Gridify feature
- Breaking your grid with images
- Shaping text frames
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Designing a Magazine Layoutwith Nigel French1h 51m Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. Grids: An Overview
2. Setting Up a Grid
3. Using a Baseline Grid in InDesign
4. Grid-Related InDesign Tools and Features
5. Breaking the Grid
6. Third-Party Grid Tools
Grid Calculator Pro6m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.