Automatically apply a Character Style wherever it appears in a paragraph through the use of a Grep Style
- [Voiceover] A grep style applies a character style…to consistent patterns within the text,…regardless of where they occur in the paragraph.…To create a grep style, you specify a grep expression.…That is, the text you're looking for…and choose a character style to apply to it.…An obvious and easy application of grep styles…is for a product name or publication name…that you want formatted with a specific character styling.…Any time you type that combination of characters,…it automatically takes on the desired appearance.…
Now in my text here, I have numerous mentions…of Acme Products and I want all of those…to be called out in a specific style.…I'll come and edit my paragraph style…by right-clicking on the paragraph style name,…come to grep style.…Click on new grep style.…The character style which I have prepared…that I want to apply to the text is called Acme…and the text that I want to apply it to…Acme Products…so when I click OK we see that all instances are called out.…
Now this is different from find/change because this is live.…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.