In Adobe InDesign, learn how to align text to a grid, without locking it to the grid.
- [Narrator] Thus far, we've seen that … once we create the baseline grid, we then … need to go and align the text to that grid. … If I now turn on the baseline grid … in this document by pressing, cmd+opt+', or … ctrl+alt+', we can see that the text … is not currently aligned to that grid. … And, to align the text, I would either … on a case-by-case basis, come and … select the text, come to my … paragraph formatting controls, and click on this … icon or better than that, … come to my paragraph styles and include this instruction … in the paragraph style options, Indents and Spacing, … Align To Grid, and in this case, All Lines. … But... … there is another way, we do not … need to force our text onto the grid … using the align to grid option. … We can instead, change our first baseline options. … This is a mysterious setting... … that lives in the Text Frame options. … Let's just take a look at a diagram, first of all. … So, here we have four of the five … different First Baseline options. …
- Why grids matter
- Setting up a modular grid
- Determining margins, page size, and aspect ratio
- Creating a baseline grid
- Creating a cap height grid
- Text wraps and grids
- Object styles and grid
- Using the Gridify feature
- Breaking your grid with images
- Shaping text frames
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Designing a Magazine Layoutwith Nigel French1h 51m Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. Grids: An Overview
2. Setting Up a Grid
3. Using a Baseline Grid in InDesign
4. Grid-Related InDesign Tools and Features
5. Breaking the Grid
6. Third-Party Grid Tools
Grid Calculator Pro6m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.